Friday, June 27, 2014

Politics as Usual


            It’s an election year on the local & state level in the United States.  Every two years in Rhode Island we hold elections to see who will become leaders and take part in the running of our cities and the state.  This year began with a swell of political advertisements on television and radio that either lean towards the positive or the negative.  This is nothing new.  However, I can say that as a voter I don’t like to be insulted or bashed over the head with one person’s viewpoint. 


            Alan Fung’s race for governor started out with a clear picture as his first advertisement against Ken Block appeared on television.  A play on the word “block” the sarcastic ad causes more laughter than cringing.  While this is not a mud slinging advertisement, it isn’t informative either.  The humor in it works, but we still cannot ignore the lack of information.  It says nothing about the candidate Alan Fung, his accomplishments or his plans as potential governor.


            I’m not a fan of negative or empty campaigning.  If your only political platform is vacant humor when we have some serious political decisions to make, you don’t have much to show the public.  We aren’t all stupid, you know.  While it’s true that not everyone is politically active or aware, the voting public can see the difference between one person showing us their accomplishments compared to one just saying negative things against the competition.  Technically, a political campaign is a long job interview with the public.  Consider this as we watch, read, and listen to all types of hype presented by each candidate.  That being said, not everyone is savvy.


            I was very involved with the local R.I. political scene back in 2008 and 2010 when I was dating a candidate for city council in Pawtucket.  I did everything I could to help him secure his first political office from writing campaign pamphlets, creating and maintaining his blog, taking extensive photographs, accompanying him on the campaign trail as well as events and helping to organize fundraisers on his behalf.  I was proud of our accomplishment and of his stand on things at the time.  However, that all went south once he began to push me aside, give the credit for my work to others, and not thank me for anything I had done.  To add insult to injury, he began to downplay our relationship and was obviously stepping out on me. It was a devastating blow and a blatant betrayal.  Needless to say, I ended the relationship and quickly cut ties to him.


            Fast forward to 2014; I received a call last evening from one of the men I met during the 2008 campaign.  While it was nice to catch up and chat a bit, I was shocked when he announced his reason for the call.  Apparently, my ex is running for a state seat and he asked me to support him as a volunteer. That made me laugh. I haven’t spoken with my ex for quite some time.  He had reached out to me on several occasions since I ended the relationship and most of the time I didn’t respond.  However, after several years, I softened a bit and decided to get together with him this past April.  It was a pleasant evening and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed his company.  He promised to call me in a week and, true to form, I still haven’t heard from him 2 months later.  It’s not a surprise. What are a few empty promises made to a former lover? 


            I informed his friend that I seriously hesitate to do anything for a man who has never truly done anything for me.  I pointed out his past behavior, which his friend tried to downplay quite a bit.  “He did take you for granted, but sometimes friends….”I cut him off there.  I pointed out we were a Hell of a lot more than just friends and that to this day he has never thanked me for everything I did for him.  I know his buddy thinks that I’ll forgive all of my ex’s former bad behavior, which he implied during the conversation. This sexist attitude isn’t shocking to me either. But, like the rest of the voting public, I’m not completely unaware.  My past experiences with him matter and have tainted my opinion.  

            This brings me back to the current governor race in Rhode Island. I’m a registered Democrat with Independent leanings.  Each political season no matter where I’ve lived (if you read my blog you know I’m a former Los Angelino resident & my heart still resides there) I am bombarded with pamphlets in my mailbox as well as advertisements on my radio and television.  How many of us tune this stuff out after a while? Again, it doesn’t matter what party you are affiliated with, we see and hear it all from all angles.  Promises made, mud slung, finger pointing - you name it, its all there.  It’s exhausting.  Or is it invigorating? I suppose it depends on several factors.


            At this point, no big scandal has arisen around the candidates.  I wonder if it will remain that way or if things will bubble in the pot as we move closer towards fall.  I do find that negative ads and campaign tactics seem to rise in number as November rolls near.   Only time will tell. 

           


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Your feedback is appreciated.